Being Creative


Creativity, it is something that is in us all. It has many forms, a drawing, a song, and sometimes in the actions of the world around you. In my life I have seen many different types of creativity, but by far my favorite is achieved by the means of a photo. A few months ago we did a huge photo shoot! We had a lot of people come out and allow us to do what we do best, create. So much happened on that day, and I can only share a handful of stories, so here we go!

It started off with bringing our models into makeup, and there was a lot of makeup involved! (Big thanks to our models that had to wake up super early.) We had a wonderful makeup artist and some amazing helpers that spent plenty of time gluing gems to the angels. Once makeup was done we moved on to wardrobe, something we spent weeks of planning on. After that, they were ready to don the wings, a huge honour at Angelstorms Photography!

The first shoot was framed as a mother angel with her child. If I had to pick 3 words to describe this shoot it would be ethereal, magical, and sweet. It was nice to work with them together, because they are actually mother and daughter. The bond they had was real, and I don’t think I could ask for a better chance than that. In that shoot there was a plethora of glitter and confetti;both of which added to the surrealness and magic that I love.

The next angel shoot would take a much darker turn. Imagine this “A heart so scorned by the world, it turns to chaos and destruction. Seeking the hearts of the innocent and devouring them, turning them into nothing but an empty soul.” . This is what my daughter had written down to describe the idea to our model. This idea came from the darkest recesses of our minds, and I love it. We worked from this one idea we had created to make it larger than life. We had a human heart hand crafted from cake, a killer outfit suitable for a bad angel, and a white angelic knight to try and save the day. Needless to say, this took a drastic turn from the first photos of the day.

We had a couple more shoots after the bad angel session, but those are stories for a different time. The very last session was a group shot. We had angels scattered in with humans, this shot was the final showcase, a demonstration of our creativity. When I look back I feel a sense of pride, and I say to myself “I did this! I created so many wild and crazy looks, but somehow they all make sense!”. I am so happy with how this day went. I have always said creativity means creating a path of your own choice to follow, and this day,these stories, embody it perfectly!

Photo tip: When you are taking portraits of people ask them to list 5 words that describe them. Not only will it give you an insight on them, but it can help make a photo shoot more fun and memorable for them.

Comments

Popular Posts