Get Closer

"The trick to forgetting the big picture is to look at everything close-up"
~Chuck Palahniuk~
Now for yet another change of direction!  Getting very close-up with photography and time for story time.  Once upon a time a long, long time ago, all I cared to photography other than the random snap shots of my girls, was landscapes and architecturally interesting buildings.  I loved them from distance for what I felt was the "whole picture".  Even when I started doing portraits I felt it was important for once again the "whole picture".  A very dear long time friend who also has a great love for all things photography, asked me if I was afraid to get close-up.  What??? I'm not afraid!  Well reality is yes I was.  It isn't something that is as easy as people may think.  Kind of like the idea of shooting great photo's of the moon or the night sky.  There are some things that just take more time and patience.  I could sit waiting for that just perfect moment to capture the beautiful colors of a sunrise or a sunset, but the closer you get to a subject the more steady your hand needs to be.  Framing and composition feel like they get a little more difficult and lighting is another fun thing to take into account.  Over time and with lots of practice I got better at it and now with my gear I no longer fear the idea of getting close up.

All that being said as I mentioned last week I'm doing all of these posts using iPad or cell phone.  Close up with those camera's?  Are you crazy?  Let the new panic attack and fear get started!  Oh wait...no don' do that.  You learned how to do it before, you can learn to do it again.  Well here is one that I'm willing to post.  It isn't perfect but it isn't supposed to be just yet, if ever really.  Once you are perfect that pretty much means that you have nothing left to learn, and I just don't ever want to be there.  So I'm sure that I'm going to drive everyone around me a bit crazy over the next couple of days while I try to get as close as I can to different things.  It is only because I want to learn new things with new gear and get to a point were I'm not afraid to just see the whole picture from a very close up range.

Comments

Popular Posts